Horse Farm




I'm buying a 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage. How long will the inspection take?
An average home with three bedrooms and two and a half baths, generally takes 2 to 2.5 hours. The size and condition of the home or property may take more or less time accordingly. Larger properties as well as older properties frequently take a little more time.

Do I need to be there for the inspection?
No, you don't actually need to be present during the inspection. However, I do explain the homes central systems, I review major concerns and remedies, and I provide helpful maintenance advice during the inspection so I encourage the customer to be present especially if it is their first time purchasing a home.

When do I pay for the inspection and what form of payment do you accept?
Payment in full is made at the time of the inspection. I accept cash or personal checks. Checks should be made out to Informative Home Inspections or George Peirce.

When will I get the written report of the completed inspection?
All reports are emailed to the customer, their lawyer, and their sales agent within 2 days of the completed inspection. Frequently, I have them on their way the next day after an inspection. Commercial properties can take a little longer depending on their size and condition, however, I do my best to get commercial inspection reports finished and emailed within 2 days also.

Do you inspect smoke and carbon monoxide detectors?
No, I do not inspect smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. This is done by the town in which the property is located. All properties must have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to receive a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) before new owners can move in. This responsibility falls upon the present owners of the property.

Is a Radon Test required?

No, Radon Levels Testing is not required. However, the risk of developing cancer as a result of Radon contamination is very real. Radon is a known class 4 carcinogen and second to smoking as a leading cause of lung cancer. If you are aware of a Radon problem in your home, you are legally obligated to disclose that information to all potential buyers.

I have an underground oil tank, do I need to remove it to sell my home?
No, as long as it is in active use it can be used by the new buyers as well. However, the presence of an underground oil tank must be disclosed to the buyer. If the tank is not in active use, it must be either removed or decommissioned according to the town’s ordinances. Removal can be done by a licensed tank removal company and does not typically cost a fortune. If however oil has leached into the soil, removal of the tank and contaminated soil can be expensive.


Call today so George can answer all of your questions! 201-973-0981